Breastfeeding and Yeast Infection – Taming the yeast beast

Now that it’s getting warm out, it’s time for me to write about an issue that might be affecting a nursing mommy out there: breastfeeding and yeast infection (thrush). Troubles with yeast are more common in the warmer months because yeast loves to hang out in damp warm sweaty places.

Thrush is one of those things that can creep up on a nursing mother and cause pain, even lead to her giving up breastfeeding. Sometimes women have no idea that a yeast infection is what’s causing their pain. It’s not understood very well and many women don’t even know that yeast infection of the breast exists. But it does!

I struggled with it for a long time when my oldest was born. At first it was just painful nipples, but because I didn’t know how to resolve it, it got much worse. The pain was very bad – I felt as if someone was sticking ice picks into my back. (This is because the yeast can colonize the milk producing glands high in the breast.) Even my shirt rubbing across my chest hurt. It felt like sandpaper.

I wonder how many moms have given up breastfeeding because they thought it was “supposed” to hurt like this?

I finally kicked it, but me, my baby AND baby daddy had to be treated. (Yes, it can be passed through THAT kind of contact too, and men are usually asymptomatic.) He and I took Diflucan, and that was enough to stop the cycle of transmitting it back and forth.

I have thrush and it really sucks!

As was mentioned before, sometimes a breastfeeding mother will suffer from pain during nursing which she thinks is “normal”. But breastfeeding is not supposed to hurt. Repeat after me: pain with breastfeeding is common, not normal. If everyone knows what they’re doing and there are no anatomical anomolies (I just love saying that!), then there won’t be any pain. I had no pain nursing babies 2, 3 and 4 because we didn’t have this issue.

What often precipitates yeast troubles is that mother takes antibiotics around her birth (often in the case of a Cesarean delivery or a postpartum urinary tract infection) and comes down with symptoms. The baby may have thrush in his mouth, or he may not. He may have a diaper rash or he may not. But the baby and Mom pass the yeast infection back and forth. Baby may even be fussy at the breast. Mom thinks it’s “her milk”, and weans. This is a sad outcome.

While it is “normal” (again – in the sense of common) to experience some soreness with the initiation of breastfeeding, especially in the first time Mom, this should be little more than a temporary discomfort that goes away after the first few days or weeks. The tissue is becoming used to a new activity. It Mom is having PAIN, that is not normal and is a sign that something is wrong. Normal soreness typically only hurts when baby first latches on, then subsides as the feeding continues. Yeast hurts all the time, even when baby isn’t feeding and gets worse over time.If Mom has seen a Lactation Consultant or La Leche League leader and corrected any problems with latch on or positioning and baby’s anatomy is normal, she should suspect yeast.

This is especially true if Mom has had antibiotics, eats a high sugar diet, baby has any signs of thrush (white patches in the mouth, crying/fussing when feeding, diaper rash) or Mom’s partner suffers from yeast related symptoms (itching in the boy bits, although as I said, men usually get off scott free in this area).Keep in mind that weaning won’t make the yeast go away. It will just move to the vagina or gut if Mom weans the baby (it’s probably already there anyway), and the baby will have pain in his mouth when he bottle feeds also. Better to just get rid of the yeast altogether. Shall we?

Natural Treatments For Breast Yeast And Infant Thrush

Baking soda
Baking soda can be an effective treatment for thrush. It changes the ph of the skin, inhibiting fungal growth. You can make a paste of baking soda and water and apply it to Mom’s nipples. Rinse off before feeding the baby. Baby can also take baths with a little baking soda sprinkled in the water, which will soothe any yeasty diaper rash (it looks bright red and hurts).

Vinegar
Vinegar also kills yeast by changing the alkaline/acid balance of the skin, in the opposite way that baking soda does (obviously you would choose one or the other, not both treatments!). It can be irritating to the skin however, so care is needed. One tablespoon added to a cup of water and applied to Mom’s nipples several times a day with a cotton pad can help.

Olive Oil and Coconut Oil

Olive and coconut oil are highly nutritious for lactating women and should be used daily in the diet. Both have antifungal properties and coconut oil in particular is excellent for immune system health. Coconut oil is delicious for baking, added to smoothies, used to cook eggs, etc. Olive oil is delicious in soups, casseroles, used to cook meats, etc. Olive oil and coconut oil can also be taken straight from the spoon.

Some moms have had success applying a bit of oil to their nipples. both for pain and to help heal the infection. I wouldn’t recommend leaving it on if the baby is a newborn, but it’s fine for older babies who are eating solid foods.

Don’t shy away from healthy fats if you’re in your reproductive years ladies. These two fats don’t make you fat. Nursing Mothers all over the world since the beginning of time have thrived on high fat diets. Low fat is not healthy for the lactating or pregnant woman. And eating cheap oils means the fat in your breastmilk is of lower quality.

Strict Hygiene

Fungus is very hardy. Good hygiene is important if you want to prevent reoccurence. Wash your nursing bras and pads, panties and cloth diapers in hot water and do a double rinse. Add vinegar to the first rinse to help kill yeast and prevent irritation from detergents. Wash your hands well with hot soapy water after using the toilet or changing diapers.

If you’re using any bottles or pacifiers, boil them before use. Throw away nipples and pacifiers after treating the thrush and buy new ones. Or better yet don’t use them if at all possible. Be sure to sanitize your breast pump parts too if you use one.

Avoid plastic backed nursing pads. They create moisture and heat which yeast loves. Use cloth nursing pads instead. Go braless when you can to let the breasts air out. And don’t use any type of soap on the breasts, ever.It’s a good idea for Mom and baby to use their own towels and washcloths for awhile. Launder them separately, using the vinegar rinse mentioned above. If it’s hot and sunny out, hang them in the sun to help kill yeast.

Wipe baby’s mouth with a clean wet washcloth or cloth napkin after feeding.

Herbal/Supplements

Garlic and Pau d’Arco have antifungal and immune building properties. Caprylic acid and oregano oil are also antifungal, and they’re found in Yeast Assassin. Oregano oil is antifungal also. You can find many supplements that contain these ingredients in one formula.

Nutrition

Another thing that will help is supplementing with probiotics. Eat plenty of plain yogurt, kefir and cultured veggies like homemade sauerkraut. These kinds of foods contain lots of beneficial bacteria that help keep the yeast in check in the gut. It’s also very important to eliminate sugar while treating yeast infections. This will be hard because you’ll crave it something terrible! But stay strong and remove sugar, white flour, all junk food and simple carbs (white rice and even fruit) for awhile. Eat plenty of meat and protein, and tons of vegetables while you’re clearing the infection.

There are some prescription medications that you can get for yeast troubles from your baby’s Pediatrician or your OB/GYN. One is Nystatin. It’s commonly prescribed as a liquid suspension. It’s sticky and full of sugar. I hated using that stuff. It didn’t work, and it only made me and the baby and my clothes stick together like glue. And the sugar content – hello!

Another old fashioned remedy is Gentian Violet, sold in some pharmacies. I tried this one too and it’s messy to work with because it stains everything bright purple. I couldn’t take my baby out for a week because he looked like Papa Smurf. And I had to wear an old purple T shirt so as not to ruin my entire wardrobe. But it is pretty effective. There are some concerns about Gentian Violet being carcinogenic with long term exposure, but it typically only has to be used for a day or two to work so most people who care about babies and mothers say it’s ok for this short term use. It’s also very inexpensive and available without a Doctor’s prescription or even a visit to the office.

Diflucan was the ticket for me. Along with the nutrition and other self help measures listed above, we finally kicked it for good. The thing with Diflucan is that a lot of Doctors who are ignorant of how breastfeeding works will tell you that it’s not safe for nursing moms. That’s pretty ridiculous because Diflucan is prescribed for premature infants! Medications and Mother’s Milk is considered the authoritative source on the safety of various drugs for breastfeeding women and Diflucan gets the ok. As for me, we had tried everything else first and the meds helped me get relief, fast so it was worth it.

Have you ever had breast yeast and what did you do about it? Do tell!

This entry was posted in Breastfeeding and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Breastfeeding and Yeast Infection – Taming the yeast beast

1. Christy Maddox says:

When my daughter was about 1 month old, she developed Thrush, and she’s a breastfed baby. However, I did not develop the symptoms of Thrush on my nipples, but I treated my daughter’s mouth as well as my nipples with Nystatin. The treatment was successful. The article here mentions probiotic, which I take daily, and I give it to my daughter one time per day as well. She was born via C-section, and I have recently learned that children born via C-section do not ingest the intestinal flora (vaginally delivered babies get this from their mother’s vaginal canal) that regulates healthy digestion, making them more suceptible to candida overgrowth (Alternatives, Volume 11, No. 19, Dr. David Williams). So, especially for you mom’s whose babies were brought into the world via C-section, get your children some probiotic. You can find it in health food stores. However, I use and recommend the Probiotic from Transformation Enzyme Corporation, which I obtain from a Naturopathic Doctor. Probiotic has also work wonders clearing up food allergies.

2. Jessica Oren says:

I am with child and an intolerance to yeast, gluten, lactose, vinegar and wheat has arose in this pregnancy. I have been studying candida, yeast allergies, and food allergies the past several months and have come to the determination that YEAST IS NOT GOOD FOR US. I have substituted with baking soda and baking powder (which really does improve your alkaline levels in your body). It’s even good to take baking soda with water or juice every day as a supplement to balance your alkaline (did you know that disease/viruses/bacteria cannot live in a body that is alkaline???!!!). Make sure the baking soda and powder you buy is NON GMO (Genet. Modified Organism)!!! Otherwise you will not receive it’s true benefits. Yeast is a fugus/mold. Other alkaline helpers are: pineapple and hydrogen peroxide (non gmo food grade) and probably much more. Other probiotics are: Aloe (juice or whole leaf is best taken orally), Grapefruit seed extract (orally), alive Acidophilus, oil of oregano (I take this every day 1-2 drops for pregnant women), Garlic (this helps with EVERYTHING) taken fresh and organic preferred, and so much more! I developed a rash in the beginning of my pregnancy due to YEAST overgrowth, as I changed my diet and began to use some probiotics I noticed the awful rash to disappear. I will keep with this diet when I nurse so that I don’t develop THRUSH. Have fun researching!

3. Eleanor Irvington says:

Hi, great article! I had thrush while breastfeeding (it was many years ago), and I wish I had known more then.

I found a good site with information for pregnant or breastfeeding women. There is lots of information about what supplements to take, and also a page with information on yeast infections and what vitamins might help as well as other things.

Thanks again for the information and good luck to all of you!

-Eleanor

4. I dealt with thrush with three of my seven children while nursing them. As soon as I started itching I knew what it was. I ended up having to get antibiotics for the baby and a cream for me because it would just go full blow overnight and be horrendous. I wish I had know of the more natural alternatives then. I discovered that it was the nursing pads I was using that was causing it. I shucked them after I identified the culprit. Of course, it wasn’t until the third round of nursing a baby that I figured it out. I wished I had discovered it a lot sooner.

5. Malkie says:

It’s amazing that most “doctors” out there don’t know that you can have yeast in your milk ducts. With my second son, I started having these shooting pains in the sides of my breasts and noone knew what was causing them. I researched all over the internet until I found Jack Newmans information and figured it out by myself. That time, I got anti-biotics because I didn’t know what else to do. With my next baby, it felt totally different. It started as sore nipples. It got so bad that I developed a hole in the skin on my nipple, that was excruciating every time my baby nursed. I finally had to stop nursing her for a few days to let it heal – that was one of the hardest things I’ve EVER had to do…………..I took a good probiotic (Nature’s Way), and cut out ALL sugars- even vegetabes with sugar (like beets). It was a great diet , I lost a couple pounds, but it was really hell to go through. Now I implore women that whenver they feel any discomfort they should talk to a profesional lactation consultant about it BEFORE it becomes really painful. Giving up the foods you like for a few weeks is nothing compared to a big hole in your nipple!!!

6. carrie says:

Wow ladies. Thanks to each of you for sharing your stories. Hopefully they’ll be helpful to a lot of other moms who find themselves in the same situation!

7. Nell Taliercio says:

I’ve told mine a gazillion times before (with candida and the baby’s thrush), but I had to chime in and say that coconut oil is fabulous! We use it in our cooking every day. It’s tasty, seems to last a long time and you gotta love the health benefits of it. Great post about this issue, Carrie. If I get pregnant again I’ll know how to handle such issues should they arrise.

8. Erin Federico says:

When i had my first child 5 1/2 years ago i had a lot of trouble with breastfeeding and it wound up that he also had feeding problems i eventually gave up and he wound up on Alimentum Formula (to make a long story short). When i became pregnant this time i was very determined that breastfeeding would work. I sought out for everything that could possible make breast feeding easier when i came across this product made by Advent there silicone nipple protectors that can be worn over you nipple if your having latching problems or sore nipples. My new baby is now 9weeks old and i’ll tell you in those first few weeks they were a great help. So while i haven’t yet had a problem with thrush i would imagine that they would work great to form a barrier so you both you and baby could heal and not continuously spread the thrush back and forth. (i’ve only seen this product in babies r us and baby depot.)

9. Brittany says:

I’m glad I read your article, because I’ve really neglected pregnancy and breast yeast infections in my own blog. I love those natural remedies ideas, especially the baking soda one, because I’ve never heard anything about banking soda as a yeast infection treatment before. Perhaps I’ll make breast yeast infections a topic of a future article.

I hope you don’t mind if I link this post on my blog.

Thanks for the great article,
    Brittany

10. Pingback: cesarean and rash

11. Pingback: homemade beauty remedies

12. Pingback: nystatin in breastmilk

13. Pingback: braless breast

14. Pingback: World Breastfeeding Week | Blog posts and articles on breastfeeding | Natural Moms Talk Radio

15. tberg says:

There is a post on here about breast shields possibly preventing yeast. Not so. The impatient nurse at the hospital gave me a shield when we had problems with latch. (Silly – I learned later that a few moments on a pump would draw out the nipple for the baby just fine.) I developed very painful yeast. It seemed like sore nipples but then got into the ducts – it was sore and hot during the whole feeding and then afterwards also. By the time I diagnosed myself with help from Dr. Mom’s guide, I had a serious yeast problem. The midwives made me try the Nystatin for three months before they gave me the Diflucan. (I had to have the lactation consultant tell the women that they have given the medicine to babies with yeast overgrowth.) In the meantime I tried everything, but I think the warm weather (summer baby) and the shield, as well as too small nursing bras made it worse. I did notice that when I cut any and all sugar in my diet and took garlic and ate plain yogurt every day – the yeast subsided. It never really left though – and then the moment I had a piece of pie it was back and very punishing. Be careful of the shield. I understand it helps a lot of folks, but I think that there are some nurses out there who give them to anyone who is having trouble, to make everyone stop crying, without really being educated. I don’t think a lactation consultant would have given me a shield. But I couldn’t deal with the shield issue and the yeast at the same time. And then once the yeast was gone, he was so use to the shield. It was very inconvenient. Although I did manage to breastfeed him for almost a year – and had a very positive experience nursing overall despite the early problems and the shield.

16. Tiffany says:

I have been breastfeeding for the past eight monts and have been fighting thrush for the past seven months.I will take diflucan and it will clear up a little while then be back.They gave me a strong antibiotic because i went in labor @ 35 weeks and they said that it was because of a bladder infection and i also had penicillin during labor a few weeks later because i am strep b positive.Please can anyone help.I breastfed my last child for a whole year with no problem i just dont understand it and im ready to throw in the towel.

17. carrie says:

Hi Tiffany,

I’m so sorry to hear of your trouble!

I had to fight candida for a year with my first.

Has your husband or sexual partner been treated? My husband had to be treated because candida is transmitted sexually but often men have no symptoms. His doctor recommended he take Pau D’Arco capsules and he did.

Also, stay on the Diflucan. I think I was on it for a month. It is often prescribed for only a week or even less for vaginal yeast infection but if the problem is systemic, you might need to take it for a long time.

Is it possible you could have an underlying food allergy or other problem that is hampering your immune system? Have you tried going off wheat? I have a mild wheat allergy that was contributing to my problem so laying off wheat helped. Eating a high protein (lots of meat) diet with veggies and rice and limiting sugar, even in carbs and fruits, helps.

Eat lots of probiotic, live foods like kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut (homemade or buy Bubbie’s, it’s the only raw sauerkraut sold in grocery stores), take acidophilus.

Have you tried taking grapefruit seed extract capsules? You can also safely give the baby acidophilus. If he is 8 months old you can give him a little kefir or yogurt too. Both are easier to digest than milk, and provide important gut nutrients. Try to obtain homemade kefir or make it yourself. I have some extra kefir grains if you’re interested.

I hope that helps.

Carrie

18. Pingback: Natracare Mom and Baby Products | Natural Moms Talk Radio

19. Angie says:

I have been fighting a breast yeast infection for a few months now. My baby (4th one) is 9 months old and I am desperate to get rid of the infection. I never had a single problem with the other 3 kids. I didn’t know you could even get a breast yeast infection. I’ve got a very strong nurser this time around and cracks around both of my nipples (all the way around). It feels as if someone is cutting me with a knife when he first gets on. This baby has never taken a bottle. He will drink from a cup, but I can’t get much when I pump. He will not drink formula. I’ve been on 2 courses of diflucan and Nystatin for months. The baby was treated, but I’ve never seen thrush in his mouth. I haven’t tried the gentian violet yet (it’s on order at Walmart), but from what I’ve heard, I think my case is too far gone. Is there such a thing as the yeast infection becoming deep into the breast. Anyone have any NEW advice for a REALLY bad breast yeast infection?

20. carrie says:

Hi Angie,

my advice would be to get to a naturopath or a forward thinking md to check for food allergy. The cracking has to resolve, that is how the yeast is getting a foot hold. an underlying food allergy could be contributing. sorry for your troubles!
    I know what it’s like. Has your husband been treated also?

Carrie

21. stacie says:

i have a 5 month old and have been fighting a yeast infection for about 3 months now. i didn’t know what was wrong at first. i breast fed fine with no problems for two months and then all of a sudden i was having this terrible pain like my baby had razor sharp teeth that were cutting into my skin every time he eats. i have taken about 11 dozes of diflucan, where you just take the one pill. my baby has had nystatin and i have had the nystatin cream. i just started using vinegar on my nipples as well. i have read some places baking soda helps and other places that it doesn’t. the pain is back and its terrible. it makes me want to cry at each feeding but i am determined to keep nursing. i don’t know what else to do though…

22. Pingback: Best of NaturalMomsTalkRadio 2008 | Top blog posts on NaturalMomsTalkRadio for 2008 | Natural Moms Talk Radio

23. Pingback: Eating to Survive Motherhood | Interview with Eating to Survive Motherhood author Christi Collins | Natural Moms Talk Radio

24. Angela says:

I had yeast problems in my nipples as well. What cured if for me and him once and for all was baby jarro probiotic powder. A lady at the natural foods store told me about it. While the infection was bad I dabbed a little on each nipple for 3 feedings. Once it got better cut it down to two, and then finally for maintenance once a day. It worked like a charm. Nothing the doctor did helped. I had a few rounds of difflucan it would be better for a couple of days and then just come right back. Then they told me to put athletes foot cream on it basically and wipe it off before he ate, that didn’t work eather. The Jarro is it. I’m pregnant with #2 and I’m telling you I’m going to use that stuff from day one, that junk is miserable.

25. Pingback: Vaginal Itch Yeast Infection Homemade Remedy

26. Melissa says:

I can only say – THANK YOU, thank you, thank you! It is so nice to find helpful ladies open to NATURAL remedies (yet not close-minded, so they also tried medical stuff). I plan on trying the ideas starting with least medical to most!
    Thank you!

27. manda says:

LADIES-take some pain relievers! I have breast yeast & got permission from obgyn to take 4 ibeprofen every 6 hours. it realllly helps! try to schedule it for when u have the most pain, mine was worse in evening.

28. KELLY says:

I HAVE BEEN THRU THIS TWICE, AND I AM CURRENTLY STILL FIGHTING YEAST INFECTION#2. I DIDN’T KNOW WHAT IS WAS W/ BABY #1, BUT MY LACTATION CONSULTANTS KNEW, AND HELPED ME RIGHT AWAY. THE PROBLEM IS THAT I DIDN’T KNOW TO SEEK HELP AS SOON AS I SHOULD HAVE BECAUSE BEING A NEW MOM IN 2006, I THOUGHT THAT I WAS JUST EXPERIENCING SORE NIPPLES. I WENT THRU EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE READ HERE TODAY. YES, SOME WOMEN, AND EVEN DOCTORS DO NOT KNOW YOU CAN GET A YEAST INFECTION OF THE BREAST. YES, IT IS EXTREMELY PAINFUL, YES, IT IS LIKE BEING STUCK W/ ICE PICKS IN THE BACK AND IN THE CHEST, STERNUKM, AND BREASTS. AND YES, EVEN THE SHIRTS RUBBING ACROSS YOUR BREASTS HURT. THERE IS NO SENSE IN NOT FEEDING YOUR BABY, BECAUSE IT HURTS WHETHER THEY ARE FEEDING OR NOT, SO IF IT’S GOING TO HURT ANYWAY, I MIGHT AS WELL FEED. IT IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING WHEN PEOPLE SAY TO QUIT NURSING. THE FIRST TIME AROUND, I DELIVERED 5 WEEKS EARLY, SO IT WAS PROBABLY BROUGHT ON BY THE ANTIBIOTIC THEY PUT ME ON, BECAUSE I DIDN’T MAKE IT FAR ENOUGH TO GET TESTED FOR GROUP-E Y STREP. I USED APNO-ALL PURPOSE NIPPLE OINTMENT RECOM. BY JOHN NEUMANN, AND UNTIL THE PHARMACY GOT THAT TOGETHER, I USED GENTION VIOLET, TOO. I WAS ALSO PUT ON A 28 DAY CYCLE OF DIFLUCAN. I WASHED ALL OF MY STUFF IN BLEACH, TRIED TO GET SUNLIGHT TO MY CLOTHES AND MY NIPPLES. THAT WAS HARD W/ A DEC. BABY. THIS IS NOW AN JULY BABY, SO IT WAS A LITTLE EASIER. NO ONE CAN FULLY UNDERSTAND WHAT A WOMAN GOES THRU W/ THIS UNLESS THEY EXPERIENCE IT THEMSELVES. I DREADED THIS 2ND TIME, BECAUSE I WAS HAVING AN EMERGENCY C-SECTION BECAUSE OF A BREACH BABY SOAKED IN MECONIUM, AND AS THEY WERE GIVING ME THE ANTIBIOTICS IV, I KNEW I WAS DESTINED TO SUFFER W/ A YEAST INFECTION OF THE BREAST AGAIN, AND I AM, AND YES, IT GOES INTO THE DUCTS. SO AFTER 28 DAYS OF DIFLUCAN, AFTER CONVINCING THE DOCTOR OF THE DOSE AND DAYS,(BY THE WAY, IT IS 400 MG DAY1, AND THEN 200 MG FOR THE NEXT 27 DAYS),I ONLY HAD A FEW DAYS LEFT, AND I GOT CELLULITIS F THE RT.EAR FROM A SPIDER BITE, AND THE PCP WANTED TO PUT ME ON KEFLEX, AND I THOUGHT OH NO, AND ANTIBIOTIC, BUT I’M NOT DONE MY DIFLUCAN. 2 DAYS LEFT, AND DON’T YOU KNOW IT STARTED BACK AGAIN, W/ THE STABBING PAINS, AND I THOUGHT YOU HAVE GOT TO BE __C_ING KIDDING ME. SO , YES I GOT MY DOC TO GIVE ME ANOTHER 28 DAYS OF DIFLUCAN. I’M SCARED TO QUIT, I HAVE ONLY TOMORROW, AND I AM HOPEFULLY DONE, AND HEALED. I AM WORRIED, BECAUSE I HAVE NOT GIVEN UP MY SWEETS, BUT I HAVE BEEN TAKING PRIMADOPHILUS, PER MY LACTATION CONSULTANTS RECOMMENDATION. I’M NOT SURE HOW THAT HELPS, BUT I HAVE BEEN TAKING IT. NEITHER OF MY BABIES HAVE EVER GOTTEN THRUSH. THE FIRST BABY USED A NIPPLE SHIELD FOR 4 MONTHS AND I NURSED HER FOR 14 MONTHS. THIS BABY IS 12 WEEKS OLD AND I HAVE ONLY BEEN RECENTLY NURSING W/O PAIN. IT IS SAD TO THINK OF ALL OF THOSE UNINFORMED MOTHERS AND TO THINK THAT THEY MAY HAVE STOPPED NURSING BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT THAT IS HOW PAINFULLY NURSING IS SUPPOSED TO BE. THIS SEEMS TO BE OUT THERE ENOUGH, SO WHY DOES IT SEEM THAT OUR OB/GYNS ARE CLUELESS? KELLY

29. Your site was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday.

-Robert Shumake Fifth Third

30. Pingback: RealTime - Questions: "Could Washing My 22 Month Old Daughter Twice A Day With Soap Cause Nappy Rash?"

31. Kristi says:

I have had thrush for more than 2 months and I have seen 3 doctors who all tell me that there is nothing wrong with me. So frustrating. I did use the antifungal cream and diflucan and baby took nystatin, but the only thing that seems to help is the sugar busters diet. I have been on it for 3 weeks and feel great, but then I eat some watermelon or something and the thrush comes raging back. I have cut out all the sweet things that the diet recommends and diet coke as well just to be on the safe side, but I am still eating dark chocolate, natural peanut butter, milk, and wine and those don’t aggravate the thrush. I don’t know what to do to kick it for good but I am hoping it will just disappear forever one of these sugar-free days.

32. carrie says:

@Kristi, thrush can be SO persistent! Have you thought about underlying food allergies that may be contributing? For me, wheat is an issue. Some people have found that food allergy keeps their thrush alive.

33. Pingback: Does anyone know any natural remedies for thrush that work well and can be used while breast feeding? | Parenting QnA

34. Pingback: Why do my breasts have sharp shooting pains after and breastfeeding? | Parenting QnA

35. Pingback: Pri to Learn » Blog Archive » Baby Yeast Infection » Pri to Learn

36. Pingback: Uses for Baking Soda | How to use baking soda around your home for cleaning and natural health | Natural Moms Talk Radio

37. Pingback: Be aware of the various symptoms of yeast infection : Yeast Infection

38. Pingback: How to remedy Yeast infection Once and For All! | blood pressure

39. Pingback: Questions for All Natural Organic Mommies and Daddies out there!? | The Best Green Products

40. Pingback: A Wrong Yeast Infection Diagnosis Can Be Dangerous | Men's Health

41. Pingback: Did You Know You Can Get Pregnant While You Have A Yeast Infection? | Want To Get Pregnant?

42. Pingback: Help This Mom: Breastfeeding and Potty Training | Natural Moms Talk Radio

43. Pingback: Get Rid Of Yeast Infection With Home Made Remedies » Healthy Lifestlyes | Healthy Lifestlyes

44. Pingback: Yeast Infection In Men…Seriously | Glendale Arizona Dentist

45. Pingback: Natural Moms Podcast #152 - Probiotics for Dummmies | The importance of probiotics for pregnant women and babies | Natural Moms Talk Radio

46. Pingback: Lactating naturals | Zx12

47. Pingback: 3 Essential Facts About Yeast infection You Should Be Aware Associated with

48. Pingback: Lactating naturals | Filworld

49. Pingback: The Importance of Probiotics in Pregnancy | Probiotics benefit mothers and babies during pregnancy and beyond - here's how | Natural Moms Talk Radio

50. Pingback: 7 Treatment Can Relieve Yeast Infection Symptoms