First Day of School

April 15, 2009

Unbelievable.

Mommy cried all day, but the kids came bounding home, busting in the door from their first day at public school with huge smiles on their faces.

I was expecting them to be tired and worn out from the experience- but they couldn’t have been more excited!

Let me backtrack a bit.

Yesterday morning the two boys next door (who are good friends with my kids and come over everyday after school) came pounding on our door at 7 A.M. They were hoping that the kids would be riding the bus with them that morning.

(I had to take them to get their ear/eye/dental exams first and registered them yesterday.)

The kids were actually disappointed that they couldn’t start classes yesterday, but the school administrators suggested we do placement tests first thing this morning before putting them in their classrooms, so that’s what we did.

I packed their lunches (well except for Caleb, who insisted on packing his OWN because after all, “if anyone finds out that a FIFTH GRADER had his MOM pack his lunch … lol!) and they laid out clothes last night.

There were baths and an earlier bedtime. There were prayers. Lots of those. :)

Today they jumped out of bed at 7 and we had breakfast and everyone was out the door at 7:45. They were absolutely disappointed that they couldn’t ride the bus this morning!

I wanted to take them to school (it’s two streets away) and pick them up but they all insisted that they wanted to ride the bus. In fact I think it was the highlight of their day.

Poor Sadie didn’t know what to think. All day she asked about her siblings. Good thing I had a picnic lunch planned at the park with some friends, that was a nice distraction, then she had a long nap.

The kids came running home from the bus stop with huge smiles on their faces.

I would like to think that because of  the foundation these kids got at home with me during their youngest formative years, that they are ready to tackle something completely new with excitement instead of fear.

I’m not sure what the future holds.

There are only 6 weeks left in the school year. I don’t know if I’ll re-enroll them in the Fall.

Homeschooling is so much a part of who I am and what I believe. Who am I if I’m no longer a homeschooling mom?

All day I’ve fought back tears, except when I talked to my mom and my friend, then I didn’t have the strength to.

Part of me is resentful that because of someone else’s refusal to take his responsibilities to his children seriously, I am forced to make this decision.

But it’s going to be ok.

p.s. I had a picture of the kids walking away from me towards the school, but my camera fried it.

Comments

12 Responses to “First Day of School”

1. Jen @ One Moms World on April 15th, 2009 4:49 pm

I was thinking about you today! I’m so glad everything went well with the kids. I know you had tears, but my dear you are such a great mom. I guarantee the reason they had such a good day at school today was because of the foundation you have laid with them. You molded them into who they are today. You are awesome my dear :) Big (((HUGS)))

2. Christie on April 15th, 2009 5:21 pm

Wow, sounds like a really tough day :( But you got through it, and so did they. Maybe they can make the choice in the Fall if they want to go back or not, once the “newness” wears off. Big hugs mama!

3. michelle on April 15th, 2009 5:50 pm

You’ve been in my prayers! Just remember that you still have them for more hours than the school does! With the nurturing heart that God has given to you, you wil be able to make many of those times memorable!

4. Mindy on April 15th, 2009 9:33 pm

Thanks for sharing! I was wondering how things were going.

5. Marya on April 16th, 2009 11:53 am

I had to make this decision too, Carrie. Different reasons though…just couldn’t handle the academic needs of three kids with special needs!

I’m sure it’s tough. I pray God gives you much wisdom and peace!

6. Demetria on April 16th, 2009 4:36 pm

I know you made the best decision for your kids at this time of your life, and it’s good to hear that they were excited about going.

I know what you mean…being a homeschooling mom myself, I’ve been faced with “to enroll or not to enroll”. It’s a tough decision but you have to do what’s best for your family, and at least for now the kids are happy!
    You’ve done a wonderful job with them I’m sure…and you’ve laid the foundation. That’s what counts.

7. Christine, Australia on April 16th, 2009 7:57 pm

My heart goes out to you. When I read about your journey, I keep projecting into the future and wondering if I will have to make the same decision for different reasons, perhaps, but I can sense the difficulty in it all for you.
    I do think the idea suggested by Christie is a good one and I’m sure at anytime, if it isn’t working out, you can go back to Homeschooling your children. That doesn’t make it any easier on you at the moment, though. Take care of yourself.
    Glad to know that your children enjoyed their first day.

8. casual friday everyday on April 17th, 2009 10:23 pm

We all have tears on our children’s first day’s of school. It’s hard to let them go, out into that big scary world. Especially when you believe so strongly in homeschooling. HUGS to you, Mama. Who knows where this will go in the future, but so far you and your kids have learned a huge lesson… that you’ve raised up kids who can tackle anything without fear! That is truly AWESOME! Way to go.

Nell

9. Tishia Lee on April 20th, 2009 9:36 pm

Wow sorry to hear about this Carrie. I can’t imagine how tough of a decision it had to of been for you. Sending hugs your way. And you are in my prayers.

10. Amiel E. Rivera on April 27th, 2009 8:13 pm

I’m Amiel RIvera 34 yrs of age married and currently taking up BS in Nursing in World Citi Colleges at the Philippines. i’m looking for some help to those people who have a good heart to help family who cannot send their kids to school. i dont know where to start but i’m very optimistic to help people in my community for them to send their kids to school if their is anyone or anybody who wants to help pls be free to contact me thru my e-mail. this is not a scam i just want to make a difference and want to help my fellow countrymen…. pls i’m asking each and everyone cause i really dont know where to start…..

11. Amiel E. Rivera on April 27th, 2009 8:20 pm

There are so many foundation here in our community that offers help to send kids to school by the help of people from other country but i found out most of them is a profit foundation…. the family didn’t received all that they should be receiving instead the foundation itself keep most of the money send for the kids and only part of it was given…. and after they graduated in high school last march nothing follows… the foundation says that they cannot support them at their college…???? i’m really upset with that…what is the sense of sending them till high school and not in college???? so if anyone can help me pls i’m really want to help them….

12. Amiel E. Rivera on April 27th, 2009 8:21 pm