Frugal Friday: Free Tea

November 9, 2007

You can’t get much more frugal than free, can you?

I just love giving stuff away on this blog, and for Frugal Friday this week it’s a FREE Book of Tea: A Collection of Gourmet Tea Bags by Metropolitan Tea, one of the best sources of tea this side of the world.

It has 6 different varieties of tea all nicely packaged in unbleached paper sachet filters. The box is handmade with 100% recycled paper. It retails for $20 and would make a really neat gift for a tea lover friend or yourself mama - treat yourself to an afternoon cuppa

You know the rules: Leave a comment below to enter. But this time, tell me something about your favorite tea or tea ritual, ok?

And be sure not to disappear! I will pick a winner on Monday, November 12th at noon eastern time. Be sure to check back here :-)

Comments

7 Responses to “Frugal Friday: Free Tea”

1. Annette on November 9th, 2007 11:25 pm

We love tea in this house! Our favorite this time of the year is “Tea of Good Tidings” by the Republic of Tea - it’s only available during the month of November so you got to get it while the gettin is good! :-) It’s black tea with lovely extras…hmmm… everything about it warm and inviting, the fragrance, the taste, the look… the piece of chocolate on the saucer waiting to be eaten along with the sipping…. ahhhh… actually with this tea I actually might like the TEA better than the chocolate!

Fun contest Carrie!
    Annette

2. Kaia on November 12th, 2007 4:06 pm

I used to live in a building in Amsterdam, NL , in which the community was heavily influenced by eastern religions, and almost everyone had an altar in his or her room with all sorts of little icons, incense and religious figurines. I have never been one to have an altar of any kind, and actually even thought it was pretty silly! One day I inherited a small table from my “neighbors” which had probablt been used as an altar and found it a perfect place to put my insulated tea pot and boxes of tea on- I ALWAYS kept that pot full of some aromatic hot tea to sip on throughout the day. There were some really, really tasty blends that I found in the healthfood store there! One day as I was sitting sipping on some tea, I looked over to that small table that I had covered with a pretty cloth, boxes of tea and my pretty tea cups and realized that I had created a TEA altar! I think that table must have kept some of the energy from the previous owners?!?!

3. Marcie on November 12th, 2007 4:44 pm

I love tea! I don’t consume caffeine, so all my tea is herbal-I usually use loose leaf teas, and make them in either my favorite “tea for one” set, which is my special luxury to pamper myself, or in one of the teacups I have that has a lid. It’s a special time for me to just unwind and rest. It usually lasts about 3 minutes before my toddler jumps in, but those 3 minutes are DIVINE!

4. Ana on November 12th, 2007 5:22 pm

I love to have a quiet cup of tea in the weekend mornings before everyone wakes up. Just me and the kitchen.

5. Sarah on November 12th, 2007 5:28 pm

Some kids went to college and did drugs. Some did alcohol. I did tea.

Sometime in college I discovered a loose leaf tea that I smelled amazing. It was called “Royal Garden.”

I had never brewed tea that wasn’t in a bag, so I bought a book about it. I took an antique teapot that my mom gave me, brewed a cup and was hooked!

I started reading everything I could about tea — types, rituals, brewing techniques. I collected teapots and cups. And I started making the British tea ceremony part of my relaxation ritual.

I got my friends hooked too. I’d bake something about once a week (cookies or scones or something) and friends would always knock on my door saying “I’m so stressed! Make me tea!” I bonded with many friends over tea. It was ‘my thing.’

Once in a while I would do a British tea party, complete with finger sandwiches — the whole shebang.

Then one day a friend invited the Dean of Students to one of my tea parties — and he loved it! I still have his Thank you note.” He asked me to cater a tea party for the new President of the University of Rochester. I was honored.

I was even offered a job with a tea company after college…that didn’t work out…but I still LOVE tea.

I used to be a real tea-snob, only drink loose-lea brewed tea. Now that I’m a busy mom, I’m back to tea bags…but now I LOVE to have tea parties with my children! And thus the tradition continues….

6. Patti on November 12th, 2007 6:03 pm

I am a tea granny - just like my grandma Winnie. She taught me to warm the pot with the boiling water before you pour in your water and then your tea bags. I know have several tea pots that I use for the different types of teas I drink. My morning Typhoo in the bad, the roobios in the afternoon and the various herbal and green teas I drink at other times. Truly, those who don’t drink tea don’t know what they are missing. Coffee must be so boring!

7. carrie on November 13th, 2007 12:04 am

Sarah is our randomly picked winner. Congrats!
    I enjoyed reading all your stories. Thanks for participating ladies :)