My Oldest Son Thinks He’s My Husband

My oldest son thinks he is my husband.

I started noticing this phenomenon in the last year. Probably since we’ve been living on our own, and he is the eldest male in the house.

Exhibit A:

Yes, he brings me flowers.

Purchased with his own money.

Seriously folks, I sometimes have to remind him that he is my child, not my husband.

He tries to discipline his siblings. He refers to them as “the kids”.

Meaning, he’s not one of them.

He thinks it’s hilarious to fart on me in bed.

(And I thought I was divorced and no longer had to endure such treatment?!)

I have to remind him to take care of personal hygiene.

Of course, it’s not all bad.

He tells me I look prettier without makeup.

He cooks for me.

He has surprised me by making breakfast before I get up.

He also loves to brew coffee and bring me a cup in bed.

But, he thinks that he can disregard what I say and argue with me.

He pushes my buttons and sometimes, makes me cry (but he won’t know it).

He tugs at my heart strings and makes it burst with pride and love too.

And unlike a husband, I can make him sit in the corner when he gets too sassy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in Mothering and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to My Oldest Son Thinks He’s My Husband

1. April says:

Well he’s going to make a great husband to someone someday…just not to Mom. ;) And your future daughter-in-law will have some big shoes to fill but the one that does will consider herself the luckiest woman in the world!

I think that’s pretty typical of a boy his age, especially since he’s old enough to be aware of the divorce and all. Dillon was so young when we divorced that he never really went through that.

2. Carrie I think it’s the “being the man of the house” thing with single moms. My son is the youngest of my 3 children but he is exactly the same way. I think he will make a great husband one day as yours will too!
    By the way, it was great to get to meet you at Lynn Terry’s luncheon on that last day of #nams!

3. chele says:

My oldest son went thru this as well. He is 6 years older than my middle child, so the other two boys were always referred to as “the babies”. We were quite the team. I took care of the baby (who had multiple health problems) and he handled the toddler. I honestly don’t know what I would have done without his help back then. Enjoy your husband in training!

4. carrie says:

@chele – he is only 2 years, 9 months older than his little brother but emotionally and intellectually that seems huge at his age. I do have to be careful not to rely on him too much, but he loves to help.

And yes I think he will make a great husband. Julien too. I’m training them that way. One of the great things about raising boys is training them how to be good men.

5. Tiffany says:

Great pic of him! Is he the only one with blondish hair? My oldest is my only blond too.

6. Lisa D. says:

Carrie,
    They need to know when they make you cry! If they are aware that they are hurting you, they can learn to be more sensitive to that. I know that you acknowledge their feelings as a rule, so let them acknowledge yours as well!
    You guys are great!
    Lisa

7. Mom says:

Carrie,
    I agree with Lisa, let him see you cry.

He is one GOOD-LOOKIN’ kid. Just sayin’

Miss Lila in Atlanta