Need Cloth Diaper Recommendations

June 14, 2010

Yikes!

finished
Creative Commons License photo credit: MissMessie

I’m 36 weeks pregnant today and realized that I don’t have enough cloth diapers in my stash.

Since I haven’t had a baby in diapers in almost 3 years, I’m out of the cloth diapering “loop”. I don’t know anything about the latest greatest wahm made diapers and covers.

So I’m asking for your help.  : )

Right now, I have a dozen “pocket” diapers with microfiber liners. I like these a lot. They’re great for husbands and grandparents since they’re just one piece (once stuffed, which I tend to do as soon as they come out of the dryer) and resemble a disposable diaper. But they’re one-size, which doesn’t tend to fit a newborn well. One-size diapers don’t fit well under the baby’s clothes and just look plain funny to me, a huge diaper butt on a tiny newborn. So I prefer to use those when the baby gets a bit bigger.

For the newborn period all I have are a dozen prefolds and one Bummi Whisper Wrap. That’s not nearly enough!

I need another dozen diapers and half a dozen covers (or a dozen all in ones). What are your favorites?

p.s. I’m looking for genuine, honest to goodness product recommendations. Please don’t spam the comments section with your own cloth diaper business. However, if you want to send me a diaper you’ve made in exchange for a review, let’s talk!

Comments

11 Responses to “Need Cloth Diaper Recommendations”

1. Alaina Frederick on June 16th, 2010 10:49 am

Hey Carrie! Almost time – woohoo!!!

I have tried dozens and dozens of diapers over the past 4 years and I have to say that my all time favorite and the ones I go back to over and over again is MotherEase.

I love the one-size Bamboo MotherEase fitted diapers. They are great from about 3 months and on. My 28 mth old has them on now :) I like to either use the airflow MotherEase cover or a wool cover.

We also used the Bamboo MotherEase Sandy diapers for the first three months in the newborn/Xsmall size. LOVE LOVE LOVE.

I have never had a issues with these diapers ever leaking or causing stick problems and because the covers and diapers are individual they are easy to wash and hang.

Here is the link to the one-size diapers: (we use the bamboo terry)

Here is the link to the Sandy: (we use the bamboo terry)

2. Emily on June 16th, 2010 12:07 pm

Alaina took the words out of my mouth. I used Motherease. I had a few newborn ones, but mostly one-sizes. You can also buy one-sized diaper covers elsewhere (unless ME has added that since I bought from them).

Anyway, they’re really cushy and absorbent.

3. g_and_ec on June 16th, 2010 12:38 pm

I really like using cloth inserts in gDiapers. The gCloth made by the company is OK, but my favorite are one from The Nappy Shoppe. And it’s nice to use the flushable/compostable inserts when travelling somewhere with no laundry.

Also, are you considering ECing? You’ll most likely need fewer diapers in that case. Naked or prefold held on by a diaper belt when around the house is the way to go at home.

4. Melinda H on June 16th, 2010 12:45 pm

The ones I like best for my youngest were the BumGenius All In Ones. Like you pointed out, one nappy and everyone can figure it out cause it looks like a regular ‘sposie. Another, more cost effect is the One Size nappies they make. You have to put the liner in yourself, but it grows with the baby from small to medium to large (the snaps are all visible, not pretty, but it works).

I purchased mine from Cotton Babies online store and they had tons of other options, as well. Look up @graciekate on Twitter. She has a baby less than a year old and she has really jumped on the bandwagon with a fever. She has tons of different styles and brands.

5. Erica G on June 16th, 2010 12:58 pm

I love our Green Mountain Diapers prefolds! I currently have have 2 kiddos in them (an infant and a toddler) and they work awesome for both. I prefer Thirsties velcro wraps (not the Thristies Duos, but in your case it sounds like you’d get longer use from the Duos size 1), to Bummis brites, but both are great! I’ve also been using Snappis with both dd (the toddler) and ds (the infant) and they’ve made a HUGE difference in poop leaks!

Back to the diapers, they are thick and thirsty and wash up amazing even without spraying. I seriously can’t say enough great things about the quality of Green Mountains prefolds! Not to mention that they come in bleached, unbleached and organic options and their customer service is on point!

We didn’t switch to cloth until ds was about 4 months old, but when he was tinier I would have much preferred a prefold with snappi and cover over all in ones. The all in ones that we’ve used feel so much bulkier than a prefold/snappi combo.

Best wishes on this last part of your journey!

6. ali on June 16th, 2010 1:41 pm

i am using bumgenius organic all in ones and have rarely had a leak, unless it was a blowout and then nothing would have worked. i had prefold with cover ambitions earlier, but couldn’t figure it out. diapers with covers seem logically easy but practically less so than the all in ones. my husband did a test however and he likes to use disposables (tushies) at night to keep her drier so that is what’s been working until she’s potty trained. to get stains out i just put them out in the sun and it works well!

7. Rebecca K on June 16th, 2010 3:18 pm

We have five children, and I’ve been using cloth diapers since my oldest was 6 weeks old. Mostly I’ve used Green Mountain Diapers prefolds, with pins and covers. I love them! I’ve used a handful of fitted diapers, and they are convenient (especially for older siblings to change baby!) but I love Green Mountain Diapers prefolds. They last and last, through several children, are versatile in size and shape of baby, and Karen’s customer service is outstanding.

God bless you on the birth of your new little one!

Rebecca

8. Jery on June 18th, 2010 1:31 am

What cloth diapers work the best for newborns?

9. Carrie on June 18th, 2010 8:10 am

@Jery, a lot of moms like fitted diapers that fit snugly around the thighs. They help contain those newborn runny poop blowouts. :)

10. Christian Homeschooler on June 21st, 2010 5:39 pm

I used a couple of different brands…but I liked:
    Fuzzi Bunz.

Very easy to use and versatile. It has a little pocket for inserts (which you can buy extra of…I kept quite a few on hand) and soaks up baby very well. The fleece lining on top keeps baby extremely dry. I sometimes would use liners on top of the fleece (advice- buy liners, buy liner, buy liners!) One roll should do for a long time. You will have less diaper to wash and clean when you use liners (the disposable ones, I mean).

They wash up really well in BioKleen detergent.

They are also snug on baby with all the snaps and come in a lot of different cute patterns.

11. Judy Subirats on June 28th, 2010 1:43 pm

I really love the GroBaby system (GroVia now I think…)
    I use the cloth all the time at home, but when my hubby takes the baby out without me, we use the biosoakers. Super easy for everyone!

Good Luck!