Last week when my sister was visiting, I mentioned to her that I had just written an ebook about how to eat a whole foods diet and save money, shopping at ALDI.
“Hmm. I went to an ALDI once. It was a lot of canned vegetables and packaged stuff. I wasn’t impressed.”
One of the reasons I wrote the ebook is to help dispel the myth that ALDI only has “canned vegetables and packaged stuff”. And my sister, being the awesome big sis that she is, ended up reading and enjoying my ebook.
But honestly? You can find “canned vegetables and packaged stuff” at ANY grocery store. Even Whole Foods, that supposed bastion of health. Last time I went to Whole Foods, they had plenty of junky granola bars that have more sugar than candy. They have soy “ice cream” that will ruin your thyroid health and with enough gum stabilizers and pseudo fibers to induce colitis in the strongest of guts.
Junk food, in other words.
I actually went to the trouble of taking a picture of my ALDI haul this week. I’m not a great photographer, so my apologies.
Here’s the actual list.
- Center cut pork chops
- Whole chicken (I don’t usually buy meat at ALDI, but I did this week to prove a point. And to take this picture. You’re welcome.)
- Frozen cali mix (carrots/cauli/broccoli)
- Canned blackeyed peas
- Canned kidney beans
- Canned salmon
- Artichoke hearts
- Baking soda
- Dried cranberries
- Gluten free baking mix (which I love, because it has NO soy flour)
- Green peppers
- Grapes, red and green
- Organic grape tomatoes
- Green apples
- Honeydew melon
- Cottage cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese, Mozza ball
- Gouda cheese
- Cream cheese
- Frozen dinner rolls
This all cost less than $100 people. And no coupons. And that includes toilet paper.
(Sadly, this isn’t all the food my family will eat. I will go the grocery store again.)
And here is this week’s menu:
- Asparagus Double Cheese Quiche – ate this Monday, it was delish! Even the kids said so. With green beans and tomatoes sauteed in onion, garlic and olive oil.
- Red Beans and Rice served with baked apples – had this last night, made with organic pork sausage from the farm. Compliments from everyone.
- Pork Chops and Apples. With Cali mix vegetables
- Salmon Croquettes. With poached pears and sweet potatoes
- Sloppy Joes (hubby’s choice) – with **sauerkraut and vegetable crudites
- Soupe Aux Legumes De Maman (mom’s vegetable soup)- I have a ton of homemade chicken broth to use up. With rolls
Does this look like junk food to you?
Alright alright I’ll come clean. I did buy a little junk.
*In my defense, the semisweet morsels are for homemade coconut flour banana muffins, and the Bugles – did you know Bugles are made with coconut oil, NOT cheap hydrogenated vegetable oils like other snack foods? They’re a compromise food I allow
myself the kids as an indulgence.
**One week ALDI featured this sauerkraut, and I bought TEN jars of it because it was real, old fashioned style fermented sauerkraut. No vinegar. Just cabbage and salt. Love it!