I love coconut oil. Not only does it taste delicious, but it has many benefits to the body. Here are a few of those.
* Coconut oil lowers cholesterol. We’ve always been told to avoid saturated fats because they raise your cholesterol. This is the primary reason coconut oil, which is mostly saturated fats, has been used less and less recently. However, coconut oil has been shown to help metabolize cholesterol faster, reducing overall levels. A study was done in a culture where coconut oil was used on a regular basis. When these people were moved to a different area and their coconut oil intake dropped, their cholesterol levels got much higher.
* Coconut benefits the thyroid gland. Coconut oil lowers cholesterol because it stimulates the thyroid gland. When the thyroid works properly, it uses cholesterol to make chemicals that are vital for preventing disease and keeping you from aging.
* Coconut oil helps you lose weight. Since coconut oil helps improve thyroid functioning and improper functioning of the thyroid is a major cause of obesity, it’s a boost to weight loss efforts. Cultures that use more coconut oil have less incidence of obesity.
* It can prevent cancer. Increased thyroid function has also been shown to reduce the incidence of cancer. Studies have shown the occurrence of cancer to be lower, and in some cases nonexistent in areas that rely on saturated oils. They have also shown that the number of cancer cases increases with the addition of unsaturated oils to the diet.
* Coconut oil benefits the immune system. Coconut oil has been found to contain 40% lauric acid. This is a fatty acid that is found in breast milk. The body converts it into a substance that fights bacterial, viral, and protozoal infection. When your body has these chemicals, your immune system does less work and you stay healthy.
* Coconut oil has stood the test of time. Coconut oil has been used in tropical areas and even modern cultures for many years. Only recently have people started switching to unsaturated oils for cooking. In areas that have made this switch, obesity, high blood pressure, cancer, and other problems have increased. Cultures that still use coconut oil have fewer of these problems.
* Coconut oil makes a great moisturizer
Coconut oil can be used as a makeup remover before you use your regular facial cleanser. It’s also excellent for dry skin. Try it on your elbows and feet and even the drier patches on your face.
As you can see, switching to coconut oil for your cooking needs has many benefits. It can help you live longer, and look and feel better.
More On The Health Benefits of Coconut Oil
Although there has been controversy surrounding the use of coconut oil, recent studies assert there are definitive health benefits in using the oil.
Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which is a saturated fatty acid that has an anti-microbial component. More importantly, the anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties in coconut oil are now widely accepted as a healthy alternative that can be utilized in a variety of areas:
* In its purest form, coconut oil contributes to healthy hair. For use on the skin, it is not only a great moisturizer, but can help in the treatment of eczema and other skin conditions.
* Coconut oil has also been effective in weight loss, since it suppresses the appetite. In conjunction with this, it has also been attributed to help treat thyroid conditions.
* The saturated fat in this oil can lower cholesterol levels as well as reduce hypertension.
* Known as an antioxidant, it aids in preventing diseases that cause degeneration and can slow down the aging process.
* Coconut oil is effective in improving digestion problems which are caused by bacteria. It also allows for vitamins, minerals, and amino acids to be digested and absorbed more easily.
* Listeria can occur among pregnant women who may have ingested raw milk. Coconut oil can protect against this bacterium as well as destroy viruses which are known to cause measles, herpes, and the flu. Moreover, studies have shown that it is effective in preventing yeast infections as well.
* Coconut oil is effective for diabetics in that it can control the sugar levels.
* This oil may help prevent liver disease and gall bladder conditions as well as rid the body of kidney stones.
* Coconut oil is effective in helping to prevent osteoporosis.
* It has been known to decrease symptoms linked with CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome).
* It promotes a healthy complexion.
* Studies have shown it may protect the body from developing certain types of cancer.
* Coconut oil can reduce the number of epileptic seizures.
* It can prevent skin infections.
* Research indicates that coconut oil can be an effective treatment for individuals with HIV/AIDS.
What is so unique about coconut oil is that unlike other oils which have a high fat content, this oil is low in fat content and is widely used among individuals who weight train because it is easily converted into an energy-building source in the body.